[Orgmode] [org-clock] default clock for non-org-mode buffers

From: Austin Frank
Subject: [Orgmode] [org-clock] default clock for non-org-mode buffers
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:49:06 -0500

Hello--

Sometimes I want to clock in but I'm not in an org-mode buffer.  Would
it be possible to either provide a function or hook that uses the
current buffer to add a selection to the destinations provided by
`org-clock-select-task'?

I can see two possible functions I would add to an
`org-clock-prepare-selections-hook'.  First, a version with remember
that would create a new task to clock into based on the current buffer

#v+
(defun au-clock-in-to-new-task ()
  (if (fboundp org-remember)
    ;; use one of my remember templates that creates a TODO entry under
    ;; the heading "uncategorized tasks".  it includes a link to the
    ;; current buffer
    (org-remember nil (kbd "t")))
  ;;
  ;; then either clock in to the task right away,
  ;; or add the new task to the selection buffer somehow
  ;; ...
)
#v-

And second, a version that lets you browse to an existing task.

#v+
;; I think this one doesn't work as written, but only because I don't
;; know what I am doing
(defun au-clock-in-go-to-task ()
  ;; use the org-refile interface to go to an existing task
  (org-refile t)
  ;;
  ;; then do something with link to buffer we clocked in on
  ;; ...
)
#v-

Does a hook or some other way of introducing this functionality already
exist?  If not, would other people use it?

Thanks,
/au

--
Austin Frank