Re: [Orgmode] Deadline->scheduled workflow

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Deadline->scheduled workflow
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 05:53:28 +0100

Hi Norbert,

this is currently not possible, I am afraid.

You could deal with it by hand, by changing the warning period once you have scheduled the item.

- Carsten

On Feb 15, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Norbert Zeh wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a question whether the following workflow is possible in orgmode:

- I create a task with a given deadline some time in the future.  I
 don't want to worry about scheduling it.

- I configure deadline warnings to I get a warning that a deadline is
 coming up, say 4 weeks before the deadline.  When I see this warning,
 I know I will have to schedule the task to work on it.

- Now, with the 4-weeks warning, it would be rather annoying to have the
 task show up on every day for the 4 weeks before the task needs to be
completed. So I would like upcoming deadlines to show up in my agenda
 view only if the task is not scheduled yet.

Ideally, I think a 2-layered warning system for deadlines would be
useful above. Warn 4 weeks in advance for unscheduled tasks that have a
deadline coming up.  Warn, say, 7 days in advance for scheduled but
not completed tasks that have a deadline coming up. Is there any way to
do any of this in orgmode, possibly with some lisp hacking?

Thanks,
Norbert

--
"And it happened all the time that the compromise between two perfectly
rational alternatives was something that made no sense at all."