Re: [Orgmode] Request: Slightly different structure mode

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Request: Slightly different structure mode
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:57:10 +0000

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:36:46 +0900, Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
> beside of the organising part I use org-mode as a lab-notebook for
> every "project" which involves more thinking and esp. remembering
> about it.

[...]

> I noticed that I prefer to create outlines like this (stupid example)
>
> +----------------------start----------------------------------+
> * Learn org-mode
>   I start to read carefully the manual again. Esp. tables are still
> difficult to use for me.
> ** Just to remember the most important table commands
>    Here I will write down all the table stuff commands a long long
> long text and maybe some tables.
>
>  This text should belong again to outline 1. I just like to continue
> writing since I just write in a chronological order. I read the manual
> again and found some nice features I wasn't aware of ..more text.. .
> +--------------------stop-------------------------------------+

[...]

> So I like to use the outline levels more as a measure of importance or
> of detail. I write a generic text of how the project is going on, most
> likely just adding every day a little bit text like in a diary. If
> there is something very special or very detailed I like to encapsulate
> it in a outline and only open it up if I need to read again about
> it. Thus, it will not distract me by reading fast threw the main file
> and it is available if needed.
>
> Any idea how to achieve that ?

I do something similar but outlines don't allow for what you want.  I
use lists instead, particularly description (- XXX :: text) lists.
However, you would have to use list items for each paragraph as the
same problem of hiding will happen (the last item, when folded, will
hide any subsequent paragraphs).

HTH,
eric