[Orgmode] Re: mailto links

From: Ross A. Laird
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: mailto links
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:10:00 -0800

> On Feb 24, 2010, at 5:59 AM, Ross A. Laird wrote:
>

>> Hm. I did not find anything particularly specific to kmail:
>>
>> "mailto:%a?subject=%s";
>
> Hi Ross,
>
> the default setting for `org-link-mailto-program' is currently
>
>     (browse-url "mailto:%a?subject=%s";)
>
> which means that Org will leave it to the browse-url package to
> decide how to send a message.
>
> Browse-url uses the variable, `mail-user-agent'
> Try customizing this variable.  I think you want to set
> it to `gnus-user-agent'.
>
> HTH
>
> - Carsten

Hi Carsten;

Thanks for the help. I've poked around inside the "browse-url" group
(it's been a long time since I've seen "mosaic" and "netscape" listed as
options), but I cannot find "mail-user-agent." So -- and remembering
that, like an increasing number of org users, I am not a programmer -- is
this a variable that I could specify in .emacs, for example? I do know how to
modify that file and already have various "setq..." type of entries.
But, just to prove that I am not a programmer, here's what I would try:

(setq 'mail-user-agent' 'gnus-user-agent')

Which, of course, causes emacs to choke (or, at least to grumble.)

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.com