[Orgmode] Re: mailto links

From: Ross A. Laird
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: mailto links
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:41:40 -0800

Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Ross A. Laird) writes:
>

>> (setq 'mail-user-agent' 'gnus-user-agent')
>>
>> Which, of course, causes emacs to choke (or, at least to grumble.)
>>
>> Ross
>
> Hi Ross : its a gnus setting not a browse setting.
>
> Inside emacs put your cursor over the variable name
> "mail-user-agent". Press C-h v (control key and "h" at the same time,
> release and then press "v"). Select "customize" option. There you can
> select "Gnus Message with full Gnus features". Save for future
> sessions. You could also "C-h v" and then type the name of the
> variable. Remove your code above.

Hi Richard;

Thanks for the help. This is a good example, I think, of how cryptic
Emacs can be. I followed your first set of instructions exactly, but
still had difficulty. When I put my "cursor over the variable name" and
then hit C-h v, I did not get an option, I got this:

Describe variable (default mail-user-agent) (mail-user-agent)

Which, I think, just tells me what the variable is called. Probably this
was due to the fact that I was just hovering over it in your post, as I
was not able (as I said in my first post) to find this variable in
customize. However, your tip got me thinking about a more general
search, outside of org-customize. So, I just entered "customize" (which
I have done before) and drilled my way down to where I found the
variable. There I was able to set the option as you describe above.

Emacs is a strange beast. Strong, old, canny. But very strange.
Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Ross

--