Re: [Orgmode] Let's TALK about it

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Let's TALK about it
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 06:10:40 -1000

On Feb 25, 2010, at 5:29 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:

Hi Andrea,

Andrea Crotti <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

What could be the "minimal" introduction needed before talking about
org-babel for a smart (but maybe not emacser) audience?

That's an excellent question, and I have no idea what the answer should
be.  The first step is certainly introducing Org-mode, maybe with a
focus on tables, and the export to html and LaTeX.  From there Org-babel
may best be described as the addition of active source code to Org-mode
documents.

I think Org-babel is most easily introduced through a couple of short
live demos hitting on the main points of functionality
- executing a source code block capturing the results in an org-mode buffer
- reading inputs from a table
- reading inputs from another source-code block
- tangling
- exporting an org file to html including soure-code block results
 and/or fontified code

Best of luck! -- Eric

Hi Andrea,

One attempt at a "minimal" introduction is:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.php

I'd be interested to see your presentation.  Perhaps you could send a link to the list for those of us unfortunately not able to travel to Florence.

All the best,
Tom