Re: [Orgmode] Propose: add developer infos to the manual

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Propose: add developer infos to the manual
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 07:26:40 +0100

Hi Torsten,

On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:41 AM, Torsten Wagner wrote:

Dear All,

I'm really an org-mode beginner and even more I'm a bloody emacs- lisp beginner. Nevertheless, I try to understand here and there who things work out and tweak some things here and there. Nothing which might be worse to share yet .... but I'm on my way to learn about the internals of org-mode.

Normally I start to consult the manual and see if I could achive what I am looking for by the given function set of org-mode. If I concern a lot I try to dig down threw the source-code for different functions to see how they work. I wonder whether it might be possible to add a footnote to every explained function with a link to the source-file. By this way it would be much easier to find the desired code-lines. Maybe bug-fixing will be easier as well. I assume there are many org- mode users with solid lisp knowledge who might be able to help bug- fixing but who have no idea where to find the necessary code.

I know I can use C-h a in emacs to search for the desired function and jump to the lisp code. Just thought some redundancy in the manual might help to attract more people to contribute.

Since the manual and the lisp files are plain text, it might be easy to write a function which does this automatically?!

This would not be easy, because the Org-mode manual is written in terms of keys and functionality, not in terms of functions. So the manual, most of the times, does not know about which function it is talking.

If you are reading the manual in info, the commands find-function and find-variable will be shortcust for the process you describe above.

- Carsten

Furthermore, after I thought about this I started to wonder whether org-mode + babel could be used to literally program org-mode itself. This would result in a very nice developer manual and is a very nice example to literate programming.

Just some thoughts

Bye

Torsten