Re: [Orgmode] Re: org export as twiki - Failure to export with error: (w

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org export as twiki - Failure to export with error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 08:47:48 +0100

On Mar 5, 2010, at 6:30 AM, Baoqiu Cui wrote:

"Mario E. Munich" <address@hidden> writes:

Dear Baoqiu,

thanks a lot for the reply... I have done some level of debugging (I
should have probably done it before, but I was not sure of what was
going on) and I had realized that the problem is in using brackets [ ]
in the text.

Please find enclosed a simple file that will depict the issue.

Hi Mario,

Thanks for posting your example Org file.  Now I am able to reproduce
the problem and know where the bug is.

Just as you said, the problem is caused by the last line that contains
strings "double[9]" and "double[3][3]".  Here "[9]" and "[3]" are
considered footnote references (and I don't think this is what you
wanted), so some code is executed to find the footnote definitions.

The problem happens when the *second* "[3]" is being processed.
Strictly speaking, the second "[3]" is NOT considered as a footnote
reference according to ``org-footnote-re'' (see org-footnote.el), but
some code in org-docbook.el and org-html.el does not use
``org-footnote-re'' and still treats it as a footnote reference.  This
inconsistency caused the problem you saw, and it is only visible in
DocBook exporter.

Before I try to fix the problem, I'd like to get Carsten's confirmation
on the footnote reference syntax: whether the second "[3]", which
immediately follows a character "]", should be treated as a footnote
reference.

To get around this problem, you can try changing the last line to
something like:

 - =double[9]= was less efficient that =double[3][3]=,

Hi Baoqiu and Mario,

clearly, writing =double[3][3]= is the correct solution to this problem.

As for the behavior of [3][3], this is not clearly defined. Neither the LaTeX nor the HTML exporter handle this case gracefully, as in producing meaningful output.

Maybe the right thing would be to have them both treated as a footnote reference, but that would also require changes to org-footnote.el. These changes are not entirely
trivial, as far as I can see now.

So uness you are willing to dig into org-footnote.el to changes this, the easy solution would be to simply catch the problem we have now in the docbook exporter, so that it does not crash.

- Carsten

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

-Mario
#+FILETAGS: personal

* Converting org pages to Twiki
 - use docbook2twiki http://code.google.com/p/docbook2twiki/
   - Checkout docbook2twiki: <2009-09-24 Thu>
svn checkout http://docbook2twiki.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ docbook2twiki-read-only
     - retrieved r5 from that repository
   - Load org-twiki.el
   - Publish buffer with: M-x org-export-as-twiki
 - double[9] was less efficient that double[3][3],

Thanks,

--
Baoqiu

- Carsten