Re: [Orgmode] Re: New Org-mode talk by Carsten Dominik

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: New Org-mode talk by Carsten Dominik
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:39:00 +0100

On Mar 7, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Tom wrote:

Stefan Vollmar <vollmar <at> nf.mpg.de> writes:

Hallo,

we proudly present:

"Emacs Org-mode: Organizing a Scientist's Life and Work"

I noticed the org color config in the talk was much
catchier (e.g. the keywords with bgcolor) than in the default org
config. It would be a good idea to make org more appealing by
coming up with a sexier color scheme. The appearance of org on
the main page of orgmode.org is very spartan and can be a turn
off for newbies who are used to applications with a more
elaborate visual design.

I think a better choice of default colors could improve the first
impression a bit. Maybe people could send to the list screenshots
of their config and one of the better ones could be used as a new
default.

The problem I see here is that if a new user downloads Emacs,
it will have white background and only default colors.

I could of course make the screenshot on orgmode.org with my
color scheme[1], but then new users would not like the first
impression they get when they download emacs and install Org.

I am interested in a discussion about how to handle this issue.

- Carsten

[1] The color scheme is based on the scheme by Peter Jones, who
    in particular came up with the idea to make the TODO keywords look
    like buttons.  I use that idea, but with different colors.  The
    exact colors were not my creation, because I am really not talended
    in this area.  But I agree they look great - they were selected
    by the same designer who created the special logo used on all
    our spreadshirt shop items...