[Orgmode] workflow objective... how to display ONE task, take notes on i

From: Michael Gilbert
Subject: [Orgmode] workflow objective... how to display ONE task, take notes on it, etc
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:32:30 -0800

Hi —

Org-mode just keeps growing on me. Now I have workflow I want to check out.
It's my habit to try to clear my screen of everything except the one task I am
working on (and logging) and its associated documents and tools. I want to try
to implement this in orgmode. Ideally, it would look something like this:

 - select a task from the AGENDA
 - drill down to a view of just that task with only the task & subordinate
items visible
 - edit those subordinate items, especially notes
 - log the time I spend there
 - log out, save notes, change task status
 - return to agenda

Am I missing some obvious built-in way to do this? (I find that this has
happened so often, regardless of how esoteric my objective) that I had better
ask. Or could someone help me think through how it might be done?

Sadly, I'm an emacs and elisp newbie, so that will be a barrier, but any help
would be most appreciated.

TIA

— Michael