[Orgmode] Re: workflow objective... how to display ONE task, take notes

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: workflow objective... how to display ONE task, take notes on it, etc
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:35:08 -0500

Michael Gilbert <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi —

Hi :)

> Org-mode just keeps growing on me. Now I have workflow I want to check
> out. It's my habit to try to clear my screen of everything except the
> one task I am working on (and logging) and its associated documents
> and tools. I want to try to implement this in orgmode. Ideally, it
> would look something like this:

Not sure I completely follow this but maybe this will work?

>  - select a task from the AGENDA
   Find task in agenda, hit RET
>  - drill down to a view of just that task with only the task &
>  subordinate items visible
   You're already there, just narrow to subtree C-x n s
   C-c C-v shows you what is left to do
>  - edit those subordinate items, especially notes
   edit normally in org-mode
>  - log the time I spend there
   add timestamps, notes, or clock in as you work
>  - log out, save notes, change task status
   add timestamps, notes, or clock out
>  - return to agenda
   C-c a a (or whatever agenda view you want)

> Am I missing some obvious built-in way to do this? (I find that this
> has happened so often, regardless of how esoteric my objective) that I
> had better ask. Or could someone help me think through how it might be
> done?

I narrow to subtree and widen often - so I've bound these to F5 and S-F5
respectively.

See http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#LimitingAgendaView and
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#sec-2.5 for more details.

HTH,