Re: [Orgmode] Showing scheduled blocked tasks

From: Matthew Phillips
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Showing scheduled blocked tasks
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:13:26 +1030

Hi Carsten,

reply inline below.

On 11/03/2010, at 4:40 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2010, at 2:34 AM, Matthew Phillips wrote:
>
>> I am trying to get a TODO tags view in my daily agenda just shows the first
>> TODO of a “Project” (a la the “next action” in GTD). This allows me to have
>> a TODO “tags” block in my custom agenda that doesn’t run to several pages: I
>> just see the next action for each project, and, as each action is marked
>> DONE, the next one pops up.
>>
>> I have *almost* managed to get this working by turning on
>> org-enforce-todo-dependencies, setting “ORDERED: t” as a property on
>> projects, and then using (setq org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks 'invisible).
>>
>> However, this hides scheduled tasks from the agenda view if they are also
>> blocked (I want them to show up if they are scheduled regardless). It seems
>> that org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks is not supported as a local setting on
>> custom commands, so I can’t just make blocked tasks visible in the agenda
>> view and invisible in the TODO tags query.
>
> what do you mean by "is not supported as a local option"?  Does that mean you
> miss it in the customize menu for local option, or does that mean you have
> added it using the "any variable" entry and then it does not have the desired
> effect?

What I mean is setting it as an option in the custom commands does not seem to
work, e.g. see list line in:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
    ("d" "Daily Action List"
     ((agenda "" ((org-agenda-ndays 1)
                  (org-agenda-sorting-strategy
                   (quote ((agenda time-up priority-down tag-up) )))
                  (org-deadline-warning-days 7)))
     (tags "TODO=\"STARTED\"+SCHEDULED=\"\"+DEADLINE=\"\""
       ((org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks 'invisible)))

The org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks on the generated "tags" view does not get
honoured. It *does* get honoured as a setting one level "higher", i.e. as a
local setting to the whole org-agenda-custom-commands block, but that's not
very useful here.

>> IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
>> Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES
>> ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to
>> contact the sender and delete the email.
>
> Wow, this sounds scary.  Maybe you need to find a webmail host? :-)

Heh, well it's all legally binding as soon as you open the email, just like a
EULA you realise? ;)

This is an unsightly side-effect of posting from an organisation that blocks
webmail, requires the ugly "[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]" for outside email, and adds
that footer automatically.

Cheers,

Matthew.