Re: [Orgmode] Showing scheduled blocked tasks

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Showing scheduled blocked tasks
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:59:05 +0100

Hi Phil,

On Mar 11, 2010, at 9:43 AM, Matthew Phillips wrote:

Hi Carsten,

reply inline below.

On 11/03/2010, at 4:40 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Mar 11, 2010, at 2:34 AM, Matthew Phillips wrote:

I am trying to get a TODO tags view in my daily agenda just shows the first TODO of a “Project” (a la the “next action” in GTD). This allows me to have a TODO “tags” block in my custom agenda that doesn’t run to several pages: I just see the next action for each project, and, as each action is marked DONE, the next one pops up.

I have *almost* managed to get this working by turning on org- enforce-todo-dependencies, setting “ORDERED: t” as a property on projects, and then using (setq org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks 'invisible).

However, this hides scheduled tasks from the agenda view if they are also blocked (I want them to show up if they are scheduled regardless). It seems that org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks is not supported as a local setting on custom commands, so I can’t just make blocked tasks visible in the agenda view and invisible in the TODO tags query.

what do you mean by "is not supported as a local option"? Does that mean you miss it in the customize menu for local option, or does that mean you have added it using the "any variable" entry and then it does not have the desired effect?

What I mean is setting it as an option in the custom commands does not seem to work, e.g. see list line in:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
   ("d" "Daily Action List"
    ((agenda "" ((org-agenda-ndays 1)
                 (org-agenda-sorting-strategy
                  (quote ((agenda time-up priority-down tag-up) )))
                 (org-deadline-warning-days 7)))
    (tags "TODO=\"STARTED\"+SCHEDULED=\"\"+DEADLINE=\"\""
      ((org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks 'invisible)))

The org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks on the generated "tags" view does not get honoured. It *does* get honoured as a setting one level "higher", i.e. as a local setting to the whole org-agenda-custom- commands block, but that's not very useful here.

OK, I see now what is happening here.  The dimming of blocked tasks is
done only once, at the very end, when the agenda has been made. And that is outside the scope of the local options.

You can use a normal (custom) agenda command and do the setting there. Or you can use the global options for the block agenda to set this for the entire block agenda. But not for a single segment in a bloc agenda, I am afraid.

Changing this would be significant work, and I don't want to do this based on a single use case.

- Carsten

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.

Wow, this sounds scary.  Maybe you need to find a webmail host? :-)

Heh, well it's all legally binding as soon as you open the email, just like a EULA you realise? ;)

This is an unsightly side-effect of posting from an organisation that blocks webmail, requires the ugly "[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]" for outside email, and adds that footer automatically.

Cheers,

Matthew.

- Carsten