[Orgmode] Active, fontified org hyperlinks in any major mode

From: Paul Sexton
Subject: [Orgmode] Active, fontified org hyperlinks in any major mode
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:27:45 +0000 (UTC)

To activate and correctly fontify org [[hyperlinks]] in any
major mode, add the following to your .emacs:

(defun orgl-do-font-lock (add-or-remove)
  "Add or remove font-lock rules for org hyperlinks."
  (funcall add-or-remove nil '((org-activate-bracket-links (0 'org-link t)))))

(defun orgl-enable ()
  "Enable fontification of org-style hyperlinks in the current buffer."
  (interactive)
  ;; The following variable has to be bound to a string, or opening links
  ;; will not work.
  ;; There is probably a more elegant solution.
  (unless org-todo-line-tags-regexp
    (set (make-local-variable 'org-todo-line-tags-regexp)
         "DSFSFSFSF_UTTER_NONSENSE_TAG_SDSDFSFDF"))
  (orgl-do-font-lock 'font-lock-add-keywords)
  (font-lock-fontify-buffer))

(defun orgl-disable ()
  "Disable fontification of org-style hyperlinks in the current buffer."
  (interactive)
  (remove-text-properties
     (point-min) (point-max)
       '(mouse-face t keymap t org-linked-text t
                    invisible t intangible t
                    org-no-flyspell t))
  (orgl-do-font-lock 'font-lock-remove-keywords)
  (font-lock-fontify-buffer))

;; Change lisp-mode-hook to whatever you want
(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook 'orgl-enable)

I was amazed at how easy this was. The most obvious use for me is to put
[[hyperlinks]] in source code comments. The link behaves the same as in org
mode, i.e. by default it looks for a matching <<target>>, then searches for
the text of the link starting from the top of the buffer.

Useful extensions would be:
- Figure out how to force hiding of the [[ ... ]] brackets. They disappear
  only if the text is in the 'default' face.
- Fontification of <<targets>> to make them stand out would be useful
- Figure out how to define special link types outside org mode proper.
  eg in an emacs lisp file it would be good if the link [[defun:my-function]]
  would jump to a "(defun my-function ...." toplevel form.

Paul