Re: [Orgmode] :scale option in org-format-latex-options

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] :scale option in org-format-latex-options
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:02:43 +0100

On Mar 14, 2010, at 8:54 AM, David Maus wrote:

Hi Dan,

Dan Davison wrote:
When creating png images of latex fragments in org-create-formula- image, the :scale option in org-format-latex-options is not currently honoured
(it's commented out). My dvipng documentation says

     -x num

         Set the x magnification ratio to num/1000. Overrides the
         magnification specified in the DVI file.  Must be between 10
         and 100000.  It is recommended that you use standard magstep
         values (1095, 1200, 1440, 1728, 2074, 2488, 2986, and so on)
         to help reduce the total number of PK files generated.  num
         may be a real number, not an integer, for increased
         precision.

I don't know what a magstep is, let alone a PK file, but it seems to
suggest something like the patch below. Is there any reason not to make
a change like this?

I see two problems: First we should find out what "x magnification"
and "magstep" actually is and why the manual suggests using these
"strange" standard numbers.  And second: At least dvipng shipped with
debian testing

,----
| This is dvipng 1.12 Copyright 2002-2008 Jan-Ake Larsson
| dvipng 1.12
| kpathsea version 5.0.0
| Compiled with Freetype 2.3.11
| Using libft 2.3.11
| Using t1lib 5.1.2
`----

does not have a -y option.

I remember removing the option precise because some (newer?)
versions of dvipng do not have these options. I believe you can use a larger DPI to make the image larger.

- Carsten