Re: [Orgmode] dates in a spreadsheet

From: Josh Mattoon
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] dates in a spreadsheet
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:51:04 -0700

Sure thing.  Basically I'd like the "date" column to be automatically calculated so that I can move things around, add extra days here and there, and not have to edit that column by hand.

| date      | location | activities    | notes                      |
|-----------+----------+---------------+----------------------------|
| 03-16 Tue | moon     | collect rocks |                            |
| 03-17 Wed | mars     | terraform     | this might take a few days |
| 03-18 Thu | earth    | breath air    |                            |

If I wanted to add an extra day on mars I could just enter a new row, recalculate the forumula, and the dates would be automagically updated.  It's not such a big deal in a small example like this but I'm planning out a 3 week vacation with a fair number of destinations.  I'd like the day of week to display because some sites are closed on certain days.

It goes without saying that I've spent more time trying to figure this out than it would actually save so it's more about education at this point :)

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Dan Davison <address@hidden> wrote:
Josh Mattoon <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using the spreadsheet capabilities of org for the first time (very cool!)
> to plan an upcoming trip.  I'd like to create a column formula to automatically
> calculate the dates/day of week but I'm a bit stumped.  I don't see a way for
> the formula to know which row it is currently processing.  I'm also coming up
> short trying to find any elisp to go from day of year -> formatted date string.
>  Any suggestions?

Hi Josh,

Could you provide a small example table that shows the challenge you are
describing?

Dan