Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export > Avoid \newline command after timestampsX-Dr

From: Francesco Pizzolante
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export > Avoid \newline command after timestampsX-Draft-From: ("nnimap+mc:INBOX.sncb")
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:07:37 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for your remarks.

>>> thanks for this.  The reason why I put this is is to make sure that
>>> text after that line will start
>>> in a new line, and now flow into the scheduled/deadline line.   For
>>> example:
>>
>>> *** DONE My Task                                                 :Be:
>>>   SCHEDULED: <2010-03-01 Mon> DEADLINE: <2010-03-05 Fri>
>>>   this should start a new line but does not with your patch
>>
>>> Do you disagree that this is the right thing to do?  Do you know a
>>> method to achieve the same result without generating extra white
>>> space?
>>
>> We could simply insert a blank line (e.g. "\n\n"), couldn't we?  This
>> would let LaTeX start a new paragraph if there's no space between
>> scheduled/deadline line and do no harm if there is, because LaTeX
>> doesn't care about multiple newlines.
>
> Yes, we could, but what I tries was to *not* start a new paragraph...

Why not? From my point of view, the timestamps are more technical information
and the text you have after is the "real" text regarding the heading, so why
not put them on separate paragraphs?

After a few more tests, I think that David's suggestion is the best one:
having a simple blank line after the timestamps in the generated LaTex code.

This way, if we have some text in the heading, LaTex will simply start a new
paragraph and we will have the correct spacing. If don't have text in the
heading, LaTeX will simply ignore the blank line and will format the next
heading according to the document class chosen.

The problem with the actual implementation is that it forces a newline in all
cases (both if you have text in the heading or not) which does not respect the
document class formatting that you've chosen.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot,
Francesco