[Orgmode] 'Double-entry' journals

From: John Hendy
Subject: [Orgmode] 'Double-entry' journals
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:52:10 -0500

Hi,

I'm quite new to org-mode but am very excited about handling a lot of my current notes/task issues. My current/previous setup:

- I use a modified TiddlyWIki and create daily journal entries like this:
--- Create tiddler (page) with the title being the day's date
--- Using the PartTiddlerPlugin, I surround notes for each unique project with <part projectName>notes about project </part>
--- I have separate pages for each project where I can extract the notes in between the respective tags using some TiddlyWiki scripts such that I look for all journals tagged with projectX, print the title of that journal (the date), and then print under it the notes between the <part> tags
--- In this way, I have both a chronological set of journal entries as well as a running chronological set of entries for any specific project

- I was using features from Phil Hawksworth's Team Tasks (http://getteamtasks.com/) TiddlyWiki features, but didn't really like that... so recently I have been using Tracks (http://www.getontracks.org/), a ruby on rails app.
--- The TiddlyWIki was just clumsy with respect to tracking the tasks. The ability to link to a 'task' (which was really just a tiddly page) was great, but the viewing was horrible...
--- Tracks has been pretty good, but I have to have my desktop running the server so that I can log in from my laptop when I'm away at a meeting. Since I can't seem to make it work with my database stored on my company network share, I'm out of luck for keeping a central database for when my desktop is down... also, when I need to reboot into Win (I usually am running linux) for CAD work, my task server is offline which is never good.

So, enough rambling. I love the idea of org-mode to handle both aspects in one place as well as all the other magic it can do (keep in mind I'm just learning emacs as well!). Here's the questions:
- What solution/file structure would be recommended for the above?
--- Namely, I like the idea of daily journal entries so that I work in one file per day (date.org) vs. many (proj1.org, proj2.org...). Is this not the 'org-way' (is it easier to keep a file per project)?
--- Can I make something (a headline and the notes below it) a 'double-entry' item? In other words, if I keep the file MainProject.org and tag a bunch of headlines in my journals with MainProject, can I get those items to also appear in MainProject.org without having to add them in both places?

- Are there any other suggestions for how to do something like this? I'm new and open to other better ways. I saw Carsten's presentation (not the Google Tech talk one) and am somewhat against the idea of a huge, long file. I guess if you can collapse it enough it's fine... but it just doesn't feel right. I love my current method of just keeping a journal entry per day and letting my TiddlyWiki code automatically update the project pages accordingly. Starting with a way to replicate that functionality as well as adding in the todos all in one place would hook me on org-mode for sure.

Best regards,
John

P.S. I was not sure what to search for in order to find out if there was an implementation for this. I read under the manual about linking and did some various searches regarding 'wiki-like' behavior for org-mode (as this felt like what I'm perhaps trying to do), but nothing really seemed to apply to this; mainly, nothing about having two 'snippets' mutually update one another.