Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode tutorial questionaire

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode tutorial questionaire
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:36:37 +0000

I keep my ~/.emacs -> ~/git/emacs/emacs.el and ~/git/emacs/custom.el
files in a git repository (~/git/emacs) so I can commit changes to these
files and add meaningful comments about the reason for the change in the
commit message.  This lets me easily experiment with changing half a
dozen variables and not worrying about remembering the old values in
case I want to go back.  Git has the information and it's easy to
restore the old values for any point in the git history.  This also lets
me synchronize variable changes to my laptop so my on-the-road org-mode
setup is identical to my workstation.

I keep my stuff in git too, but recently I have found Dropbox very useful. Once I discovered how to install it on my server it meant that all my config files were automatically kept in sync on my computers. in fact Dropbox is still great even if you don't run your own server.

Git is still very useful for letting you easily go back if you make a mistake, or want to start over again from an earlier version.

Ian.