Re: [Orgmode] spreadsheet: column width behavior(s)

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] spreadsheet: column width behavior(s)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:53:34 +0100

On Mar 25, 2010, at 8:53 PM, Michael Brand wrote:

Hi Carsten, hi all

Are there reasons to only narrow but not to widen columns?

I think this is really the only thing that makes sense.  Why would
you want it any wider, given the limited amount of screen real
estate we have here?  I don't think it would be difficult to make
it behave the way you request, but I don't think I would ever
use widening fields.  When would you want to use this?

- Carsten

I would like the behavior `fixed width' like

| year | boss | facility management assistant | | | <30> | <30> | |------+------------------------------- +--------------------------------| | 2009 | Alice | Bob |

but with the current implementation get

| year | boss  | facility management assistant |
|      | <30>  | <30>                          |
| 2009 | Alice | Bob                           |

which widens the column only if there is too less space left for the column content.

As a comparison I can imagine four variants:
<..40>   : `maximum width' (what <40> is today)
<30>     : `fixed width'
<20..>   : `minimum width' (no narrowing)
<20..40> : `width range' (minimum 20, up to 40, narrowing if even longer)

The most commonly used spreadsheet applications offer just one single variant out of the above four (right?) and it is `fixed width'. My vote for org-table would be the same: That it should support `fixed width' and that this is sufficient as the only variant. What is the opinion of other users?

- Michael