Re: [Orgmode] Re: possible bug: TAB after elipsis

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: possible bug: TAB after elipsis
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:21:27 -0600

This awesome. If this equivalent existed for M-a/e and M-f/b, I would be very happy with the result. Seem reasonable -- when on a folded headline, I just can't think of a reason someone would want to interact with the headline after the ellipsis. It even, as someone else mentioned, can ge one into trouble -- press the wrong key or delete after it and you're removing text you can't even see... but are able to interact with!

Thanks for this, memmon.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Memnon Anon <address@hidden> wrote:
Anthony Lander <address@hidden> writes:
> I was thinking about this a bit more. Is it possible to meet in the
> middle and restrict the cursor so that it can't go past the last
> character in the headline, like this:
>
>       *** Some entry|...
>
> I suggest this because if you do type after the elipsis, the text goes
> right on the end of the folded entry, which I believe is undesirable  as
> well; It means that part of the entry is invisible, and part is
> visible. Limiting the cursor would solve both problems. Is this even
> feasible?

I have not been following closely this thread, but I believe customizing
"org-special-ctrl-a/e" might bring you a long way towards the behaviour
you want. I suggest you give it a try.

,----[ (info "(org)Headlines") ]
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means `C-a' and `C-e' behave specially in headlines and items.
|
| When t, `C-a' will bring back the cursor to the beginning of the
| headline text, i.e. after the stars and after a possible TODO keyword.
| In an item, this will be the position after the bullet.
| When the cursor is already at that position, another `C-a' will bring
| it to the beginning of the line.
|
| `C-e' will jump to the end of the headline, ignoring the presence of tags
| in the headline.  A second `C-e' will then jump to the true end of the
| line, after any tags.  This also means that, when this variable is
| non-nil, `C-e' also will never jump beyond the end of the heading of a
| folded section, i.e. not after the ellipses.
`----

hth
memnon