[Orgmode] Checkbox Statistics (was: Todo state for [un]ordered list item

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: [Orgmode] Checkbox Statistics (was: Todo state for [un]ordered list items?)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:09:08 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

btw, it is easier to keep multiple questions in separate mails with
separate subjects.
Thus, more people will read and answer (easier to identify the topic,
shorter so quicker to skim over etc.).

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
> P.S. Somewhat un-related, but while taking about lists... In an
> unordered list like this (my todo list for today)
[...]
> Still under the todo headline whether -floors is a checkbox or not?
> Shouldn't they be counted? Based on the example here (
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/org/Checkboxes.html),
> I should get the behavior I expect. In fact, when yanking it into my
> file, I get this instead of what's shown on the tutorial page:
>
> * TODO Organize party [1/3] (instead of [3/6]
>   - call people [1/3]
>     - [ ] Peter
>     - [X] Sarah
>     - [ ] Sam
>   - [X] order food
>   - [ ] think about what music to play
>   - [X] talk to the neighbors
>
> Bug or something in .emacs that I'm unaware of?

This is not the current example:
,----[ (info "(org)Checkboxes") ]
|      * TODO Organize party [2/4]
|        - [-] call people [1/3]
|          - [ ] Peter
|          - [X] Sarah
|          - [ ] Sam
|        - [X] order food
|        - [ ] think about what music to play
|        - [X] talk to the neighbors
`----

See the [-] cookie? Always use the documentation provided for your
version! Orgmode is a moving quickly.

Using C-h a org checkbox, I found this var:

,----[ (info "(dir)Top") ]
| org-hierarchical-checkbox-statistics is a variable defined in `org-list.el'.
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means, checkbox statistics counts only the state of direct children.
| When nil, all boxes below the cookie are counted.
| This can be set to nil on a per-node basis using a COOKIE_DATA property
| with the word "recursive" in the value.
`----
and in the manual
,----[ (info "(org)Checkboxes") ]
|    (1) Set the variable `org-hierarchical-checkbox-statistics' if you
| want such cookies to represent the all checkboxes below the cookie, not
| just the direct children.
`----

So, for general behaviour, use
(setq org-hierarchical-checkbox-statistics nil)

On a file-wide basis, add something like:
#+PROPERTY: COOKIE_DATA recursive

On a per-headline basis, use
* Task [/]
  :PROPERTIES:
  :COOKIE_DATA: recursive
  :END:

I do not use checkboxes, but that should do.

#+PROPERTY: COOKIE_DATA recursive checkbox
* TODO Organize party [2/7]
  :PROPERTIES:
  :COOKIE_DATA: recursive checkbox
  :END: