[Orgmode] Export special characters to LaTeX and HTML

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: [Orgmode] Export special characters to LaTeX and HTML
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:22:49 -1000

Aloha all,

Is there a way to insert special characters in org-mode so they export correctly to both LaTeX and HTML?  I'm interested in characters that don't appear on the long list of LaTeX special characters that export to HTML listed here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.php#sec-9

I use Hawaiian words extensively and they often require a macron over vowels, so Ā ā Ē ē etc. in HTML or \=A, \=a, \=E, \=e, etc. in LaTeX.

My idea is to have a single org-mode document that I can export to LaTeX to interact with my colleagues, and then export to HTML for journals that require submissions in Word format.  I'm using tex4ht now, but an org-mode solution would be simpler and more direct.

All the best,
Tom