Re: [Orgmode] Emphasis etc. in #+CAPTION:

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Emphasis etc. in #+CAPTION:
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:20:56 +0200

On Mar 29, 2010, at 3:14 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:

I see in the Org Manual that:

   You can make words *bold*, /italic/, _underlined_, =code= and
~verbatim~, and, if you must, ‘+strike-through+’. Text in the code
   and verbatim string is not processed for Org-mode specific syntax,
   it is exported verbatim.

So a caption like this doesn't export italicized a, b, c, and d
(presumably because this is a code string):

Hi Tom,

IIUC, it's not because it's a code string but simply because the caption
is not processed for emphasis (or anything else for that matter - see
below). I think the above text in the manual covers the generic case,
but captions were probably added afterwards and they didn't get the
emphasis treatment.

   #+CAPTION: Pumice collected from pāhoehoe flows at Manini`ōwali:
   /a/, pieces that sink in fresh water; /b/, pieces without obvious
   crystallization or coating (Category A); /c/, pieces with obvious
   crystallization but no coating (Category B); /d/, pieces with
   obvious coating (Category C).  The scale is 1 cm.

Is there a common work-around for this that will produce correct LaTeX
and HTML using the org-mode exporters?

Can't think of any workaround within org-mode. Post-processing the
output to replace /a/ with \emph{a} for LaTeX and <i>a</i> for HTML,
perhaps restricted to captions, seems possible (but ugly).

And, this is just a question and not a feature request or a request
for changes to org-mode, would it be hard to change org-mode's
behavior so that markup like /a/ in the #+CAPTION: string exports
correctly marked-up text to LaTeX and HTML?

I think this is the way it works currently:

in org-exp.el:org-export-attach-captions-and-attributes() sets text properties on the following line (the first line of a table or the line containing a link)
as follows:

        (add-text-properties (point-at-bol) end
                             (list 'org-caption cap
                                   'org-attributes attr
                                   'org-label label))

The various exporters then retrieve the caption with something like the
following code (this is one of the three calls in org-latex.el; the
other calls in this exporter, and the other exporters as well, are
similar):

   (let*
(caption (org-find-text-property-in-string 'org-caption raw- path))

This just gets the value of the given text property without further
elaboration. So I'd guess it's possible to change these calls so that
these values are passed through various filters (emphasis is one of
them, but maybe there are others?) before the exporters get them, but it
is not done today.

But maybe I'm full of it, and somebody will come up with a better idea.

Full of good analysis you are.  May the force be with you.

Well, it is just like Nick says.  I am grabbing the caption
early, before all that processing happens unfortunately.

And, unfortunately, the Org exporters are not modular enough
to easily fix this entirely.

What I *have* done now is implement basic processing, like emphasis.
But I am afraid that footnotes and link formatting, for example, do
not work.

Hope that make it good enough.

- Carsten