Re: [Orgmode] using orgmode to send html mail?

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] using orgmode to send html mail?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:19:49 +0200

Eric Schulte wrote:
>David Maus <address@hidden> writes:

>>>Oh, so this would be a slightly different issue,
>>
>>>So this function could be run *every* time an email is sent.  I agree
>>>that in those cases running on the entire message would be the right way
>>>to go.
>>
>> Right, this would be nice for people who are obliged to send out html
>> messages.  If this is turned on org-mime should display the string
>> "HTML" in the mode line.  In the WL it's done this way:
>>
>> ,----
>> | (defun dmj/wl-send-html-message-draft-init ()
>> |   "Create buffer local settings for maybe sending html message."
>> |   (unless (boundp 'dmj/wl-send-html-message-toggled-p)
>> |     (setq dmj/wl-send-html-message-toggled-p nil))
>> |   (make-variable-buffer-local 'dmj/wl-send-html-message-toggled-p)
>> |   (add-to-list 'global-mode-string
>> |                '(:eval (if (eq major-mode 'wl-draft-mode)
>> |                            dmj/wl-send-html-message-toggled-p))))
>> `----
>>
>> This function is hooked into mime-edit mode and set's a buffer local
>> variable that indicates "html message mode" and is displayed in the
>> mode line.
>>

>Another option here is to add a defadvice to the actual sending command
>(C-c C-c in gnus) such that if the command is called with a prefix
>argument, then `org-mime-htmlize' is run on the entire message before
>mail delivery.  To me this seems like a simpler solution than the above.

Yes, somehow we have to hook or defadvice before mml/semi translates
the message buffer to real MIME.  I'm not sure about the defadive: We
would change functioallity of the translating function globally.

>> What I meant was: Suppose you write a document in Org with references
>> to external files (images etc.).  If finished you'd like this document
>> to a fellow by mail including all external files.  So this function
>> collects all these files, and maybe converts the message body to html,
>> fires up Gnus/WL with a new message and inserts something like
>>
>> < #multipart type="alternate">
>> < #part type="text/plain"> ...plain text body...
>> < #part type="text/html"> ...html body...
>> < #/multipart>
>> < #multipart type="mixed">
>> < #part type="image/png"> image1.png
>> < #part type="image/png"> image2.png
>> < #/multipart>
>>
>> That is: The original document including all external files -- and all
>> references in the original file are replaced by references to the
>> attachments.
>>

>If I'm understanding correctly both you and Dan seem to be in favor
>of exporting to mime and packaging up the raw mime information from
>the org-mode buffer. I'm leaning towards thinking that it may be
>easier to simply bring the mail buffer to the org-mode file by saving
>it to a temporary location alongside the org-mode file (so all links
>resolve).  It will probably take some experimentation to find out
>which approach is more feasible/natural.

Funny thing: It's basically the same operation, only difference is in
the original content's source:

    +------------+
    | Org buffer |--+
                    +--->| MIME setup |-->| Message buffer |
| Message buffer |--+

 -- David

--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6