Re: [Orgmode] Spreadsheet FR

From: Xiao-Yong Jin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Spreadsheet FR
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:46:28 -0400

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 09:01:30 +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> This one might be possible - but dangerous for losing data.
>>
>> Ideally we're just narrowing away lines, collapsing a table like org
>> collapses headlines.
>>
>> Why would that be more likely to cause data loss?

> Because there would be ellipsis in unfamiliar places and the danger to
> accidentally modify invisible text would be higer.

I have an idea.  We can leave the original table intact,
while making a new dynamically generated table derived from
the original one.

#+tblname: myexptable
| x | y |            z |
|---+---+--------------|
| 1 | 1 |   0.36787944 |
| 1 | 2 |   0.13533528 |
| 2 | 3 |  0.099574137 |
| 2 | 4 |  0.036631278 |
| 3 | 5 |  0.020213841 |
| 3 | 6 | 7.4362565e-3 |
#+TBLFM: $3=$1*exp(-$2)

#+DERIVEDTBL :origin myexptable :criteria $1==2
| x | y |           z |
| 2 | 3 | 0.099574137 |
| 2 | 4 | 0.036631278 |

It is just a quick thought.  I am not sure how easy it is to
implement it, but at least it is unlikely to make any
confusion to users.

                                        -- jxy
--