Re: [Orgmode] Re: IMPORTANT: (possibly) incompatible Change

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: IMPORTANT: (possibly) incompatible Change
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:53:06 +0200

Hi Karsten,

On Apr 6, 2010, at 2:30 PM, Karsten Heymann wrote:

Hi Carsten,

a small note:

[...]
If you have customized the variable org-export-latex-classes, you need
to remove the following lines from each class definition:

\usepackage[AUTO]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{latexsym}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{hyperref}

Do you have any recommendations for the sequence in which these
packages should be called?  Or does that make no difference at all?
Does any of these cause problems if they are called twice (say I
add them, but users have them configured already?)

The following packages should also be safe to add, as they are part of
the standard latex distribution:

textcomp (better Text symbols, for example list bullets not made of math
  chars, are used automatically if package is loaded)
fixltx2e (numerous small slightly backwards incompatible changes, see
  http://ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/fixltx2e.html)

Also, I'd recommend \usepackage{microtype} and a gentle increase of the
\tolerance value (less perfectionist text justification) for a much
nicer out-of-the-box experience:

What is is really changing due to these last two
settings (microtype) and tolerance, could you explain in a bit more detail?

And: Can I expect fixltx2e to be present in all distributions?

Is \tolerance defined in microtype, or did you put these together just
incidentally?

\usepackage{microtype}
\tolerance=1000

Yours
Karsten

I really appreciate expert advice about this.  Thank you.

- Carsten