Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] org-mime -- using orgmode to send html mail?

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] org-mime -- using orgmode to send html mail?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 21:22:02 +0200

Matt Price wrote:

>Just quickly -- so if I'm using wanderlust, will the resultant
>message still be properly formatted?

This depends *entirely on recipients environment*.  May be, may be
not.  Maybe the parts are displayed, maybe they are not:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/user/100402/plz64u4a.png
(second and fourth part NOT displayed)

Parts of the mail will be rendered as plain text, others as html.
Maybe different font sizes and shapes (plain text vs. html markup).
Maybe the recipient cannot display images at all.  Maybe recipient's
mail program explodes: Heck, there weren't even tests to see how
mailers other than Google webmail, GMX webmail (see above!), Gnus,
Wanderlust, Thunderbird and Outlook Express 6 cope with these
messages.

Just consider this: Messaging might be WYSIWYG

What *you* see is what *you* get

But not WYSIWRG

What *you* see is what *recipient* gets.

When communication with others it's all about WRGIWYM

What *recipient* gets is what *you* meant.

@Erik:

> Emacs is about giving users as much power and choice as possible,
> even if that amounts to given them enough rope to hang themselves.

Then please at least /tell/ users of org-mime that they might break
their necks while just using org-mime to bundle message parts
together.

 -- David

--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6