Re: [Orgmode] Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:59:25 +0200

On Apr 19, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Michael Sperber wrote:

The compromise for me would be this:

- You fix the things above.
- I leave the rest of the necessary compatibility code in
- I program any new features with whatever is available
 in Emacs 22/23 and rely on you to make it XEmacs compatible.....

That would be wonderful.  I'll see that the issues are addressed:

1. posix character classes in regular expressions, thinks like [:alpha:]
  These are nice because they work well with arbitrary languages.
  Does XEmacs suppor these now?

No, but I'll see to it that they are.

Right now I am using a macro to replace them with the corresponding ASCII character sets - but this is not nice and even wrong in foreign languages.

2. The overlay API - I think XEmacs actually has a compatibility lib
  for these, is that correct?

Correct.

One of the things you could do it to figure out if I can also switch
  to the API calls overlays-in and overlays-at in that library.

You should, anyway: I'll take care of any problems. I take it something
about these didn't work for you in the past: If that is so, a sentence
or two on what those problems were would be much appreciated.

I don't remember - I wrote these compatibility functions without knowledge of the library in XEmacs. So it is well possible that the library functions just work - I will just switch - and wait for any bug reports.

3. outline.el.  Last time  looked, XEmacs still had the horrible old
  outline.el which is pretty much impossible to program.
I do have a port, xemacs/noutline.el in the Org distribution - if you could get that into XEmacs, that would get rid of a major annoyance,
  including complicated installation instructions.

I'm working on this right now - should be no big problem.  A few minor
incompatibilities with our current outline.el need to be addressed, but
I'm working on them.

OK. This is a potential source of future problems - but we will see.

4. Can you make XEmacs understand mouse-3 instead of button3 ?  Or
  maybe it does understand these by now?

No; I'll try to get this in.

Won't all happen overnight, but I'm getting to work on it. I very much
appreciate your willingness to help!

Thank you for your willingness to take much off my task list.

- Carsten