Re: [Orgmode] Auto-indexing

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Auto-indexing
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:32:55 +0200

Dear Chao,

On 25.04.2010, at 18:15, Chao Lu wrote:

> I just updated to the 6.35trans version, and found the auto-index function
> which used to work now doesn't work any longer. My conf is
> ====
>      :auto-index t
>      :index-filename "Sitemap.org"
>      :index-title "Sitemap"
> ====
>
> Does anybody get any idea? Thanks a lot.

There have been some changes (and lots of improvements).
You might want to try:

:auto-sitemap t
:sitemap-alphabetically t

to create "sitemap.org".

One of the new features is the creation of an index.
From the Orgmode 6.35 Release notes:

Index generation
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Org-mode can now produce a 2-level subject index spanning an
entire publishing project.  Write index entries in your files as

 * What is org-mode?
 #+index: Org-mode
 #+index: Definitions!Org-mode

where the first line will produce an index entry /Org-mode/,
while the second line will create /Definitions/ with a sub-item
/Org-mode/.  Three-level entries are not supported.

To produce the index, set

 :makeindex t

in the project definition in =org-publish-project-alist=.  You
may have to force re-export of all files to get the index by
using a =C-u= prefix to the publishing command:

 C-u M-x org-publish-all

Whenever an Org file is published in this project, a new file
with the extension "orgx" will be written.  It contains the index
entries and corresponding jump target names.  When all project
files are published, Org will produce a new file "theindex.inc"
containing the index as a to-level tree.  This file can be
included into any project file using

 CANNOT INCLUDE FILE theindex.inc

Org-mode will also create a file "theindex.org" with this include
statement, and you can build a more complex structure (for
example style definitions, top and home links, etc) around this
statement.  When this file already exists, it will not be
overwritten by Org.

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--