Re: [Orgmode] Re: Gmane readers - please subscribe

From: Andreas Burtzlaff
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Gmane readers - please subscribe
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:28:53 +0200

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 20:02:50 +1000
Ben Finney <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
> For an infrequently-to-never used passphrase, one of two things is the
> case: either it's unique, or it is identical to the passphrase that
> accesses some other set of services for the user.
>
> Since it's an infrequently-to-never accessed service, it's an
> unreasonable burden to expect the user to maintain unique passphrases
> for every such service. If for this list, why not for every such list?

An idea to generate unique passwords for different services is to take
the first N characters of the hash of a string that is the
concatenation of the domain name and a master password.
I have a page on my site that does just that in javascript.
No need to maintain anything.
Frequently used passwords are stored in firefox or occasionally even in
my head.

The equivalent bash command I use for the orgmode list is:

echo -n "<masterpassword>lists.gnu.org" | md5sum | awk '{print substr ($1,0,7)}'

Andreas