[Orgmode] Re: Suggestions needed for handling "ideas"

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Suggestions needed for handling "ideas"
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 21:59:21 -0400

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

> I really am puzzled by using a "TODO state" for saying "this is a note".
>
> For me, a so-called TODO state is a circumstance (or a mode), so one
> transitional property on a cycle. That's something that evolves over time,
> such as:
>
>     TODO -> NEXT -> STARTED -> WAITING -> DONE
>
> A NOTE does not belong to such cycles. It's just some kind of "property".
>
> I would be more inclined to view a NOTE "property" as a tag, but that does not
> satisfy me neither. Tags are for contexts, mainly resources we need to have at
> hand, or locations we need to be, or time ranges in which the action makes
> sense.

I think that's too narrow a view for tags.  Tags should be whatever is
useful.  It can be a context, or resources you need, or locations, or
anything else that is useful.

I use arbitrary tags to match items with an external tracking system -
and use the id of that system so I can match them easily.  I also
use :NOTE: for notes.  It works for my needs just fine.  Tags are not
and should not be limited to context only.  I also use tags for special
todo states... if I cancel a task I give it a CANCELLED tag too ... so
any subtask of the cancelled task is obviously cancelled and unavailable
to work on.

-Bernt