Re: [Orgmode] Questions about creating new nodes (headings)

From: David Frascone
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Questions about creating new nodes (headings)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:09:44 -0600

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Nathan Neff <address@hidden> wrote:

I think you want to customize the org-blank-before-new-entry variable.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#blank-line-after-headlines-and-list-items

Nice!  That almost fixed it.  But, I think the documentation is a bit wrong.  Try this:

* Item One
* Item Two
* Item Three

* Item Four
* Item Five

Try to hit M-<RET> at the end of Item Three.  Even though there are no blanks before Three, it will still add the blank.  It looks forward as well as backward.
M-<RET> after Item Four will also add the blank.  It's not a big deal, just a slight documentation issue.  Now that I know how it behaves, I can make it do what I want easily :)

I think this is an Aquamacs thing -- Aquamacs overrides the C-Ret binding with
some cua-set-rectangle-mark function that I know nothing about.

What I have found is that C-Ret runs "org-insert-heading-respect-content",
(except on Aquamacs).

Anyway, M-Ret will do the *same thing* (to the best of my knowledge)
/if/ you have this setting:

(setq org-insert-heading-respect-content t)

And I think that most people that use org-mode do indeed set
org-insert-heading-respect-content.

So, I don't bother w/C-Ret, and just use M-Ret all the time, after
setting the above variable to 't
HTH,

Perfect!  Fixed and fixed!

We can consider this thread closed!