Re: [Orgmode] Re: due today notification

From: Buck Brody
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: due today notification
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:29:45 -0400

Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion.

What I want is a way to know, just by looking at a headline, if it is due today.  Maybe this isn't something most people care about because they keep their files unfolded most of the time, so they can see the DEADLINE property.  All my tasks are kept on the third level and I don't usually keep the file unfolded past that because I wouldn't be able to see enough headlines at once.

Maybe it would be best if I explain my current workflow.  I use agenda to see what is due today.  I then manually assign those items the A priority.  For the rest of the day, whether I am in a different agenda view, or just within my main file, I can quickly see what items are due today because they have the A priority within the headline.  Using a tag would work just as well.  I am looking for a way to cut out this manual process.

I appreciate everyone's help, but I don't want to use up a lot of peoples time because this is not that big a problem for me.

Thanks,

Buck

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Buck Brody <address@hidden> wrote:

> Assume I have 10 things that must be done for a specific project and two of
> them must be done today.  I want to be able to know which two are due today,
> but I still want to see them in the same list as the other 8 items because
> it gives useful context.

Coming late to the party and I'm almost sure that the following will not
satisfy you, but maybe it'll help the rest of us understand what you are
really after (afaict, that's still not clear - apologies if I'm
generalizing unwarrantedly).

Say you have project foo with project file foo.org:

,----
| #+STARTUP: showall
| *** Long list of project items
| **** a
| **** b
| **** c
|      DEADLINE: <2010-04-28 Wed>
| **** d
| **** e
| **** f
|
| **** g
|
| **** h
|      DEADLINE: <2010-04-28 Wed>
| **** i
| **** j
`----

Items c and h are due today. I assume you have added the file to your
agenda list.  Then you look at your agenda and you get:

,----
| Week-agenda (W17-W18):
| Wednesday  28 April 2010
|   foo:        Deadline:   c
|   foo:        Deadline:   h
| Thursday   29 April 2010
`----

Click on the c line and press <RET>: you are in foo.org, on item c,
and there's your context. Ditto for the h line in the agenda.

If this does not satisfy you, what would you like to have seen instead?

HTH in some small way,
Nick