Re: [Orgmode] Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:56:45 +0100

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:27:58 -0600, David Frascone <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:09:22 -0500, Nathan Neff <address@hidden>
> > wrote:

> > > I agree -- I've been on a quest to easily navigate my org-files also.

> > > I use Aquamacs, and the help window sometimes pops out, and sometimes
> > > stays in the main frame.  It's annoying.
> >
> > I'm not sure what either of you is saying here.  C-c C-j works very
> > simply: the little help window pops up but the key sequences (arrows
> > and TAB basically) allow me to move in the original buffer until I hit
> > RET at which point the popup disappears and I'm in the original buffer
> > at the new location.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >

> When I did that, it started with all of the headings closed.  If I'm looking
> for something nested, it's VERY hard to use, or, I am doing something
> wrong.  See how easy it is for you to find something at level 3, for
> example.

Use the arrow keys to navigate to the top level heading, hit TAB to
expand the next level in that sub-tree, use the arrow keys again, hit
TAB on the second level heading, and recurse...  I find this quite
intuitive and easy to use.

of course, this assumes you know the hierarchy (i.e. under which
higher level headings your particular destination is to be found).  if
you don't know the hierarchy, I would suggest doing an expansion of
the whole file into the headings view (I can't remember what it is
called but C-u TAB cycles through the different views) and search
using C-s instead... remembering that you always have the full power
of emacs at hand which is partly what makes org so powerful!  For
example, you can also use

  M-x occur RET

to search for particular strings in the whole file.
--
Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D