[Orgmode] Re: Bug in Agenda mode?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Bug in Agenda mode?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:39:32 -0400

address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Apr 29, 2010, at 4:51 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>

>>> If I do a C-a a, I see my weekly agenda, starting 'today'.
>>>
>>> Then I can hit 'd', and see today laid out better.   Back to 'w',
>>> and I
>>> see the weekly agenda again.
>>>
>>> I can scroll down to tomorrow, hit 'd', and see tomorrow.  But when I
>>> hit 'w', I'm back to the week view, but now it starts on tomorrow, and
>>> not today.
>>>
>>> And if I scroll down two days, and hit 'd', then 'w' to come back to
>>> the
>>> week view, I'm misplaced forward 2 days.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug, or 'just the way it works'.  I'd never noticed before,
>>> but I don't think I had actually tried that.
>>
>> looks like you have set org-agenda-start-on-weekday to nil.  The is
>> works like you describe.  If you set it to a number, the week will
>> always start on that day.
>>
>> The problem is that, if you are still in the current week, it might
>> make sense to have the week start at today when you switch back to
>> week view.  But when you are further away from today, the week view
>> must be constructed in a way that the day which was last shown in day
>> view is also shown.  Since you have opted to have your week view start
>> at whatever weekday is today, Org assumes now that you want a week
>> starting on the last shown day.
>>
>> Hmmmm.
>>
>> I am not sure what would be best here.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> I can live with that.   I only set the agenda to start from the current
> day because I didn't really care about seeing days that had already gone
> by.
>
> I think what surprised me the most was that, once I went to a specific
> day, and then back to week mode, and I started on a different day, was
> that I couldn't reset it to what it had previously been without exiting
> the agenda and starting over.
>
> I don't consider it a problem, just 'the way it is'.   Now that I know
> that is how it works, I can deal with it.
>
> No, sorry, that's not saying it correctly.   I have no problems
> what-so-ever with how it works, I just didn't understand it.

Hi David,

I have two org-mode setups and of course they are different :/

At home I don't know what day of the week it is normally (honest!) and I
want to see the next 7 days so my week starts from today (or whatever
day I'm looking at).

I normally just look at today so my agenda remembers to display day view
since that is what I used last.  Looking at and planning my entire week
is something I normally due on Monday's during my weekly review.

For work my week runs Saturday - Friday and it's useful to see the week
starting from Saturday.  If I want to see the week view (at work)
hitting w brings up this week starting from last Saturday (showing the
week including the day I'm displaying -- which is almost always today).

At work I report my hours from Saturday through Friday.  I often want a
clock report of what I've worked on this week so I look at the week view
and hit R and I have my report.

Hopefully some of this description is useful and doesn't confuse you
more :).

Regards,
Bernt