Re: [Orgmode] A shorter manual

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] A shorter manual
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:27:42 +0200

On Apr 29, 2010, at 7:23 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

On Apr 28, 2010, at 8:43 PM, Matti De Craene wrote:

- 2.8 Drawers
- 3.2 Column width and alignment
- 3.3 The Spreadsheet (4 rather technical pages)
- 7.4 Property Inheritance and 7.5 Column View
(do beginners really need properties at all ??)

I would agree on this list (except maybe drawers).

If there is room for additional sections maybe:
- include the org ref card as an appendix (which in itself offers a
very good overview of org)
- include some pointers into getting emacs for different OSes and
getting started with emacs. If there would be an O´Reilly book on
Org-mode this would be in the first chapter or so. For people who
started using emacs because of org (like me) the current Introduction
might still be too cryptic (?)

Hi Dan, Matti,

I think I agree, just cannot easliy let go of the spreadsheet
as a core feature - you caught me there :-), and you are right, also

I would be very glad to hand over the control over this document
to either of you or to another volunteer.

Hi Carsten,

I'm afraid I don't want to take responsibility for this (a predictable
position).

Sure, I understand.

Apart from anything else there are several areas of Org
that I don't know enough about. If there isn't a volunteer, perhaps we
could place this document on Worg, and someone could periodically review the changes and judge whether they should be applied to the master copy on the Org website? We could request on this list volunteers for someone to make specific entries (e.g. adding a "Further reading" section for a
specific chapter).

Hmmm, I am not sure how efficient this would be.

I have it now down to 40 pages, with live links to the manual and to tutorials at the end of each chapter...

http://orgmode.org/orgguide.pdf

I guess I am done here - a volunteer con still take this up...

- Carsten

Dan

Maybe then we could
make something really nice out of this experiment - I will not
be able to spend much more time on it....

- Carsten

--

Matti

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Dan Davison