Re[2]: [Orgmode] Literate programming

From: Ivanov Dmitry
Subject: Re[2]: [Orgmode] Literate programming
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:22:56 +0400

> What is this "tree buffer" you speak of?

The tree buffer is a library from CEDET project, widely used in ECB. Look at
this screenshot, and you'll see tree buffers at the top of the frame:

http://ecb.sourceforge.net/screenshots/12.png

> Are you telling me that I can already use Org to view the outline
> Leo-style, with the outline structure (folded to the "content" startup
> visibility) in one window and an indirect buffer narrowed to the body
> text of the current headline in a second window?

I did it with org-babel. Install it, using this manual:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.php

then you can try treir sample, that I rewrote in Perl:

* Prefix

Here we have the code, that is output in the beginning of the file

#+srcname: hello-world-prefix
#+begin_src perl
print "/-----------------------------------------------------------\\\n";
#+end_src

* Postfix

This code will be used at the end of the file.

#+srcname: hello-world-postfix
#+begin_src perl
  print "\-----------------------------------------------------------/";
#+end_src

* File body

This is the main code of the file.

#+srcname: hello-world
#+begin_src perl :tangle hello.pl
  <<hello-world-prefix>>
  print "|                       hello world                         |\n";
  <<hello-world-postfix>>
#+end_src

You can edit the code in an indirect buffer, using C-c '. Tangle it with
(org-babel-tangle).

> That would be wonderful! (If not, I would definitely be interested in
> creating such a feature, but I have no idea where to start.)

The first step will be understanding, how does the CEDET library tree-buffer.el
work.