Re: [Orgmode] Why does org-html.org refuse to export a table of contents

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Why does org-html.org refuse to export a table of contents when body-only is t?
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:15:22 +0200

On Apr 27, 2010, at 6:59 PM, David Maus wrote:

At Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:55:44 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Apr 18, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Jan Böcker wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to add a table of contents to a HTML export with body-only
set
to t (to feed into jekyll later), but org-html.el automatically
disables
the TOC when body-only is given.

I have used the attached one-line patch without any problems, the
(still
XHTML strict compliant) result can be seen here:

http://www.jboecker.de/2010/04/14/general-reference-filing-with-org-mode.html

gitk tells me that the line I have changed was first introduced in
Release 4.75, so is this just a use case that was not thought of when
this was programmed, or is there a specific reason?

The reason for this behavior is that the most frequent
application for this seems to me to convert a small
block to HTML, to paste it somewhere else.

But I have no string reasons to keep it like this.  Do we have more
opinions on this issue?

Yes, the prospected exporter to atom uses body only to create html
markup for a atom feed entry where it normally makes no sense to
publish a table of contents.  Same is true for org-mime and the "Send
html messages with Wanderlust" hack.

I think we should keep it the way it is, and Jan, maybe you can just strip the surrounding stuff yourself, using a hook.

best wishes

- Carsten

So maybe create a body without toc when body-only is set to t and
create a body with toc when body-only is the symbol 'include-toc.

HTH
-- David

--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6