[Orgmode] Re: My reference data management approach with org and emacs

From: Sandro Giessl
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: My reference data management approach with org and emacs
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 16:49:03 +0200

Hi Jan,

thanks a lot for your description. I've actually been using a similar
setup of one big and unstructured reference/snippet file and a script for
scanning paper documents away without spending too much time thinking
about where to put the resulting files. The problem was that the scanned
documents were accumulating in a scan-inbox directory, waiting to be
filled into a file hierarchy... too much overhead for little additional
gain when digging for reference documents again.

Your setup seems to fill the gap between reference paper and org-mode,
so I'm happy you shared it. =)

One tiny remark to your defcustom declaration:

(defcustom jb/filing-attachment-dir nil
  "The directory in which individual attachment dirs are created."
  :type 'string)

resulted in an error message (custom-variable-mark-to-save: Symbol's
value as variable is void: nilasdf) when trying to save the customize
buffer. Customize was trying to save this value to ~/.emacs without ""
around it. Using "" instead of nil in the declaration fixed this for me.

'C-c r p' also behaves a bit odd as long as jb/filing-attachment-dir
isn't initialized yet, but I don't care.

Best regards,
Sandro