[Orgmode] A request: Moving away from ChangeLog

From: John Wiegley
Subject: [Orgmode] A request: Moving away from ChangeLog
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 05:06:04 -0400

The Emacs ChangeLog is a file which predates the existence of freely available,
project-wide version control.  It was a way to see, in one place, the stream of
changes occurring in a project -- something which RCS could not do for you.

However, in this modern era of project-wide, atomic commits, the ChangeLog is
not only an archaism, but is a continuous source of merge conflicts.  For
example, when I reverted Russell's latest change -- a one-liner that was minor
in the extreme -- I had to do with a merge conflict in lisp/ChangeLog.

With a system like Git, and properly written commits, you can produce a
ChangeLog at any time with "git log".  You even see a ChangeLog for just one
file, or a directory with "git log --follow PATH".  This completes supersedes
any need for a ChangeLog file, and has led me to abandon the use of ChangeLogs
in all the projects I maintain.

I would request we do so for Org-mode as well, unless there is some compelling
reason to keep this file.

John