Re: [Orgmode] unordered list feature request: new sub-lists automaticall

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] unordered list feature request: new sub-lists automatically switch to different list-character
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 07:11:50 +0200

Hi Livin,

I have made the change to the manual much shorter, but moved the rest of this into the docstring of the variable.

Thanks!

- Carsten

On May 23, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Livin Stephen Sharma wrote:

Livin Stephen Sharma

On May 22, 2010, at 11:12:38 , Carsten Dominik wrote:

On May 21, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Livin Stephen Sharma wrote:

Scott, Juri,
thank you for your replies.

'org-list-demote-modify-bullet' is exactly what I was missing.

JohnW, BerntH, Carsten,
AFAICT, the manual does not mention it?

Maybe you could suggest a place in the manual where you would have liked to find this information? Maybe even a patch?

Section "2.7 Plain lists".
That was where I went looking for this information.

Perhaps between
a. the description of 'org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists', and
b. "The following commands act on items when the cursor is in the first line of an item (the line with the bullet or number)"

I can't submit a patch,
but this is what I might have liked to see (the documentation- addition that I might have submitted):

begin
If you find that using a different bullet for a sub-list (than that used for the current list-level) improves readability, customize the variable 'org-list-demote-modify-bullet'. For example, this lisp in your '.emacs'
(setq org-list-demote-modify-bullet
          (quote (
                          ("+" . "-") ; sub-list uses '-' if cu
                          ("-" . "+")
                          ("*" . "+"))))

would result in such a 2-level list (which uses only '+'):

**** Take 5!
         + Movies
           + Silence of the Lambs
           + My Cousin Vinny
         + Books
           + The Hunt for Red October
           + The Road to Omaha

instead looking like this (using '-' for sub-list)

**** Take 5!
         + Movies
           - Silence of the Lambs
           - My Cousin Vinny