Re: [Orgmode] latex-export + columnview: misinterpretation of section pr

From: Tim Burt
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] latex-export + columnview: misinterpretation of section prefixes as emphasis
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 06:51:46 -0400

> Hi Juan,
> On May 31, 2010, at 5:38 AM, Juan Pechiar wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> The test file below contains a columnview table showing section
>> headers.
>>
>> Export to HTML works OK: the asterisks inside the table are
>> transformed into indentation.
>>
>> Export to LaTeX: asterisk pairs are interpreted as emphasis, resulting
>> in an incorrect renering of asterisks and bold asterisks.
>>
>> Following the code, I got lost at org-export-latex-fontify.
>>
>> I will keep searching for what is happening, but any guidance will be
>> appreciated.
>
> I have fixed at least part of the problem, so the stars will no longer
> be
> interpreted as emphasis.
>
> However, I am still getting strange results.  FOrmatting a latex file
> with this:
>
> \begin{center}
> \begin{tabular}{l}
>  ITEM                     \\
> \hline
> * There comes the table  \\
> * first                  \\
> ** second                \\
> *** third                \\
> *** other third          \\
> **** fourth              \\
> ** other second          \\
> \end{tabular}
> \end{center}
>
> somehow swallows some of the stars, but seemingly random.
> For example, the star before "There" remains, but the star
> before "first" disappears.
>
> This must be some strange LaTeX thing - does anyone
> understand what is going on here?

This is indeed a LaTeX thing.  The newline sequence (\\) has more than
one signature
 - \\ :: simple newline
 - \\[additionalSpace] :: newline with additionalSpace
 - \\*[additionalSpace] :: same as above but will not break a page
After the \\ sequence, LaTeX looks for a [ or a * in case the optional
argument exists.  In the example above the star is found as _part of a
command sequence_ and is therefore not available as something to
typeset.

One solution in this situation is to put an empty group before the
stars:
   \begin{center}
   \begin{tabular}{l}
    ITEM                     \\
   \hline
   {}* There comes the table  \\
   {}* first                  \\
   {}** second                \\
   {}*** third                \\
   {}*** other third          \\
   {}**** fourth              \\
   {}** other second          \\
   \end{tabular}
   \end{center}

I will think on other possible options.  I hope this helps.
Tim