Re: [Orgmode] Pretty org-entities in org-mode buffers

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Pretty org-entities in org-mode buffers
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 17:42:59 -0600

Hi Carsten,

> On Jun 3, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> This appears to be an issue in the HEAD (as of two weeks ago) of the
>> Emacs git repository.  I was able to get around this issue (and a
>> couple of other font-lock related issues) by stepping back to an
>> older version of Emacs (tag EMACS_23_2 in the git repository).
>>
>> I haven't tried to go back to the Emacs development HEAD, but I
>> assume that they'll take care of this issue sooner or later, either
>> way it's not a problem with any of the code in Org-mode.
>
> You may or may not have noticed that there is now also support for
> subscripts and superscripts being displayed pretty.  This is now realy
> how I wanted scientific note taking to work.

Oh, that is *very* nice, I hadn't noticed the sub/super scripts before,
It's great that even the _{} bracketed notation works.

> Need to make a screencast to show how awesomely this does work.

Yes, a screencast has been on the Babel TODO list for some time now as
well.

> The only thing missing is a little sketch tool in Emacs, fast enough
> to be used while taking notes... :-)

I often use ditaa or example blocks with artist mode when I'm taking
notes, but the use of artist mode isn't quite "natural" -- although I
doubt you could do any better encoding sketches in plain text.

> Thanks a lot for you initial implementation of pretty entities - this
> has been a breakthrough here.

my pleasure, the real work was done before my implementation in the
collection of the org-entities.

> Where do we stand with integrating org-babel?  If you ask me, it is
> time to do that.

I know Dan and Tom have made a start on the documentation, to date I
haven't really done any work on the org-babel integration, but that
should change starting next week.  Expect to hear about progress on the
org-babel integration in the next week or two.

Thanks -- Eric