Re: [Orgmode] org-velocity --- something like Notational Velocity for Or

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-velocity --- something like Notational Velocity for Org
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:33:45 +0200

Hi Paul,

> Hi Paul, this is pretty neat!

I also tested it and I like it.

> Suggestions:
>
> 1. Make the list format such that the number comes first:
>
>    #1 first match
>    #2 second matching heading
>
> 2. When you show the list, if would be great if a single key would
>    get you to the entry, like 1-9 for the first ones, you could
>    assign letters a-z for more.
>
> 3. It feels like mouse-1 should get you to the heading, but that
>    does not work.

mouse-2 works but I agree mouse-1 would feel more natural.

> 4. I would also like a key which will make a new note with this title,
>    even if there are matched.  Proposal:  use the "0" key
>    for this function.
>
> 5. Search feels much slower than it should be - but I am not
>    sure how you implemented it.  Maybe use elp to find out where
>    the time is spent?  Instead of building an alist of headings,
>    maybe the following procedure is faster: Find the word, go
>    back to the heading and save the heading, then jump to the
>    next heading and continue to search.

Yes, search is also quite long, it will prevent any regular use.
(Especially since the incremental search in Emacs is quite fast.)

> 6. There should be a command to do the current buffer, independent
>    of the value of the bucket file name.
>
> 7. The customization type 'file might be better for the bucket
>    file name.
>
> 8. Org's search view (C-c a s) lives in a similar space, but it
>    uses the agenda, and I like yours as a quick way to go
>    somewhere, or to add a note.

Adding a small idea:

9. having some completion mechanism to pich up a heading would be nice.

Thanks for this contribution!

--
 Bastien