Re: [Orgmode] org-plot file export options

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-plot file export options
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:35:52 -0700

Hi John,

If you're going to be doing anything complicated with your plots you may
want to try using org-babel [1] rather than using org-plot.

The following should Org-babel alternative should work.

1) ensure org-babel in installed on your system, and gnuplot is
   activated.

   ;; Org-babel
   (require 'org-babel-init)
   (require 'org-babel-gnuplot)

2) Name your table with a #+tblname: just before the start of your table
   line, e.g.

   #+tblname: formulation-viscosities
   | your table contents | go right here |

3) create a gnuplot code block, which takes your table as an argument
   and plots it to a file, notice `:var' and `:file' the header
   arguments

   #+begin_src gnuplot :var data=formulation-viscosities :file
~/Desktop/test.jpg
     set terminal jpg transparent nocrop enhanced font arial 8
     set xlabel 'Temperature (C)'
     set ylabel 'Viscosity (cP)
     set title 'Formulation Viscosities'
     plot "$data" with lines
   #+end_src

WRT: the ugliness of gnuplot to file, I've wrestled with this myself and
I know exactly what you mean.  Currently I try to use svg or png images
when exporting to html, and for pdf I use the gnuplot tikz terminal [2].

Gnuplot in combination with tikz results in *beautiful* plots, which
render and resize well.  However it took me hours to get everything
configured, so it may not be for everyone.

Good Luck -- Eric