Re: [Orgmode] diagnosing emacs hangs

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] diagnosing emacs hangs
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:04:50 +0100

On 22/06/10 02:18, Matt Price wrote:
Hi all,

I'm now using emacs for almost everything and of course that's great,
except that it is essentially a single-threaded OS that currently
HANGS with some frequency (100% CPU usgte that will continue for hours
if you let it go.  I think this probably has something to do with
wanderlust or possibly org-mode (and/or misconfigurations i've made to
both of these); but at present i cna't be sure since i have no idea
how to diagnose these hangs.  Can someone give me some general
directions on how to proceed with the diagnosis, and if you have them,
some pointers on how you fixed a similar problem that you used to
have?  Right now it's very frustrating -- I find myself losing
substantial amounts of work when I kill emacs&  maybe more
importantly, i'm constantly losing my train of thought.

This is all under Ubuntu Lucid with emacs-snapshot 20090909,
wanderlust=wl-beta 2.15.9+0.20100303, org-mode 6.34c (some of htese
are debian sid packages).

Have you tried starting Emacs from a terminal? That might give you some better idea of the error.

Ian.