[Orgmode] packaging org-mode & worg

From: Giovanni Ridolfi
Subject: [Orgmode] packaging org-mode & worg
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:30:00 +0200

[I opened a new thread, changed the subject, and
cc:ed Carsten and Mark that are having a
similar thread: "contributing Debian build scripts"]

Stefano Zacchiroli <address@hidden> writes:
> But the fact that it is in that .zip file does not imply that it will
> end up in the same monolithic package that users install:
> distribution editors
> routinely split up monolithic "upstream" packages in several
> different "downstream" packages.

Stefano, sorry to bother you again,
but now I'm pretty sure I've *not* understood the *key point* of
your request  (that you have briefly mentioned before, but that I
skipped, because it was unclear to me).

Some question come to my mind (see below for a general question):

Could you, please, elaborate who are the distribution editors?

+ Carsten with file org-mode.zip?
+ FSF emacs+[stable]-orgmode?

and what do mean, when you say "upstream"/"downstream" packages?

Do you suggest that the org-mode-code + worg-site is packaged
and built as:

        org-mode-worg-site             (upstream) for developers
            /                              then splitted in
           /
   org-mode+info.zip         (downstream) that user will download-install?

 More generally.

I mean, before getting involved in Org's adventure Carsten
wrote some 'little' .el files, but I think he might be lacking of a
'vision' as packager, if I look at org-mode from a "DD point of view".

Org-mode grew from requests of users and the "worg site" is the
*current*, as you wrote, answer to the need of documentation.

But, being DD, you have a really wide experience in packages and
packaging, that in org-mode community, I think, almost nobody else has.

So could you, please, suggest how will you split/build/create/organize...
the org-mode-worg-site?

Thank you for your time and patience,

Giovanni