Re: [Orgmode] Possible bug in ordered tasks

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Possible bug in ordered tasks
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:12:59 +0200

On Jun 25, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:

On 6/25/10 Jun 25 -2:03 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
Hi Robert,

On Jun 18, 2010, at 5:42 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:

I have found what I believe to be a bug in handling ordered subtasks.
Here is the behavior:

I have a top level set of tasks that is ordered.

One of the outline items below the top level set is a grab bag of tasks
that will be performed in parallel.  So this task is NOT ordered
(ORDERED: nil).

The problem is that the blocking behavior from ordered tasks seems to be
inherited from the top level task list into the second level of the
outline, even though the ORDERED property at the second level is
explicitly overridden.

I am attaching an org file that displays this issue.  To see the
problem, put your cursor on the "Bar" task and attempt to change its
status to DONE.

The problem here is that the value of the ORDERED property is the string
"nil", and that is of course not nil!

I have introduced a special case to have "nil" interpreted as nil here,
because your use case makes a lot of sense.

Oh, dear.  That makes perfect sense, now that I think of it.

Question: what is the proper way to get a NIL into a property? Are we
to use () instead of "nil"?  Or are property values always interpreted
as strings?

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question!

Not a stupid question at all.

There is no way, currently. Property values are string - the only way to make
org-entry-get return nil is to not have the property defined at all.

- Carsten