[Orgmode] Proposed tweak to org-agenda-skip-entry-when-regexp-matches-in

From: eric johnson
Subject: [Orgmode] Proposed tweak to org-agenda-skip-entry-when-regexp-matches-in-subtree
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 07:34:29 -0400

Hi -

org-mode is fantastic.  Part of what makes it so awesome is that one can keep
tweaking the software and the process.  In looking at my own usage, I
noticed that
I really wanted to simplify my org-todo-keywords.  I had a separate
list of TODOs
for projects (PROJ->PRST->DONE) and was wondering why I had to have that.
Why couldn't I just get by with TODO->STARTED->DONE for everything, tasks
and projects, and mark up projects with a tag.

You can see what I'm aiming for with this example.

(setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance '("project"))
(setq org-todo-keywords '(
              (sequence "TODO" "STARTED" "WAITING" "|" "DONE" "CNCL"))
(setq org-stuck-projects '("project/STARTED" ("TODO" "WAITING"
"STARTED") nil ""))

* STARTED Stuck project           :project:
** DONE This was done
* STARTED Not stuck project      :project:
** TODO Next project

C-a # won't show "Stuck Project".  That's because the project line's "STARTED"
is found in org-agenda-skip via the
org-agenda-skip-entry-when-regexp-matches-in-subtree.
I really want it to be
org-agenda-skip-entry-when-regexp-ONLY-matches-in-subtree.

To do that, I hacked up the function to capture a "begin" point after
the headline.

(defun org-agenda-skip-entry-when-regexp-matches-in-subtree ()
  "Checks if the current subtree contains match for `org-agenda-skip-regexp'.
If yes, it returns the end position of the current entry (NOT the tree),
causing agenda commands to skip the entry but continuing the search in
the subtree.  This is a function that can be put into
`org-agenda-skip-function' for the duration of a command.  An important
use of this function is for the stuck project list."
  (let ((begin (save-excursion (org-end-of-line) (1- (point))))
        (end (save-excursion (org-end-of-subtree t)))
        (entry-end (save-excursion (outline-next-heading) (1- (point))))
        skip)
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char begin)
      (setq skip (re-search-forward org-agenda-skip-regexp end t)))
    (and skip entry-end)))

If this change is too radical, it might make sense to modify
org-agenda-list-stuck-projects to let the user define the skip function via
an element in org-stuck-projects.

I'm thinking something like this...

  (let* ((org-agenda-skip-function
           (or (nth 4 org-stuck-projects)
'org-agenda-skip-entry-when-regexp-matches-in-subtree))

That would enable everyone to control the org-agenda-skip-function.

-Eric